Saturday, April 4, 2009

Group #1 Completes Finishing Touches Before Paint Design Begins

Today Group #1 met to complete the sanding process before putting on the 3 coats of primer, so that painting can take place when they meet back up the first weekend of May.
The group started by creating sanding blocks that would help to smooth the canoe. The participants used a rasp to sculpt the stem point, they were planing the edges, and then sanded down the canoe to have a smooth finish.
The participants had a few brief comments about what happened:
Michael - I was shaving the canoe with a spoke sander.
Tykiara - I planed the center pieces on the bottom of the boat.
Jaquan - I had fun sanding!
Tariq - I learned how to shave wood, used a planer, and did some sanding. I am very excited about getting to paint our canoe next time.
Lamont - I did lots of sanding with the sandpaper.
Crystal - I was able to help by brushing down the wood with the sandpaper.
David - My job was to saw some stuff and then sand parts of the canoe with the sanding blocks we made.

No comments: