Saturday, January 3, 2009

Saw Horse Construction



The "McNasby Workshop" was a buzz this afternoon with 28 participants and 13 volunteers. Everyone came excited to learn and more importantly work on the saw horses. In just 2 short hours the group constructed 4 saw horses that will make great boat supports for the Peace Canoe building that begins next Saturday. To get a real feel for the project, some of the participants have shared their thoughts on the day and what is to come.
Jaylyn (age 14) I learned how to screw the nails inside the wood and at what angle to do this. I'm really excited to get started on building the boats.
Michael (age 9) I've helped my grandfather fix the car before, so I am used to working with tools. It is exciting to do the boat building project, because it is something new.
Marshan (age13) I learned that all of your measurements have to be exact or things will not work right.
Tariq (age 11) I learned there is an easier way to get screws in and that is by using a power drill.
Josh (age 11) Buiding a boat will be so exciting. Before I got here today I was on my street tossing gum in the air and trying to catch it, because I was bored. Now I am excited to begin building the Peace canoe because I know it will have a pointy front and back.
Paul (age 9) I like going to the water and it will be cool to go out on the water in a boat we build ourselves. I am an "Eastport Detective" and we compare old trucks to new trucks, we've been on a trolley ride, and gone crabbing. Now, I am excited to be back at the Annapolis Maritime Museum building a boat.
Jaquan (age 12) Today, I built a boat support. I did measurements. You had to measure where the boards went, so it would be a perfect support and not wobbly. I got to use a power drill for the first time, it made me feel POWERFUL!
Tiant (age 12) I learned what flush means. It means that the wood must all be even so it is all perfect.
Tykiara (age 9) I learned how to put the powerdrill straight. It is important, so the screws go in evenly. This was the first time I used a powerdrill and I wasn't even scared. I'm excited for when we get to paint our Peace Canoe.
Lamont (age 16) It was a wonderful experience. I drilled a couple of holes for the boat holder.
Guy (age 12) I used the Japanese saw for fun, so I'll be ready when we need it to build the boat. I helped drill the nails in the wood for boat support.
Destiny (age 13) I used a hammer to hit the nail on the head to build a saw horse. I am happy to be involved in the boat building, because it seems like it will be fun.
Anita (age 13) I used a Japanese saw so I could saw the wood and it was easy to use. I'm excited to build a boat for the first time to see how it all works.
Crystal (age 10) I used a measuring tape to see how long the wood was and to know where to put the wood pieces together. I'm excited to see if we can actually make a boat.
Morgan (age 11) I used a measuring tool and pencil to see where to place the wood. I also used a powerdrill, that was fun.
Michelle-Volunteer, We helped to put the saw horses together and the kids worked really well at completing the tasks they were given.
Craig - Volunteer, In order to engage the kids, I told them the more you pay attention and the more you know the more they will pay you for what you know, later in life. Sometimes a real-life analogy is just what a group of teenagers needs to stay actively engaged.

1 comment:

Peace1967 said...

Awesome time volunteering with this rambunctious group. Really looking forward to spending time with these kids and young adults. It was so cool how they really were into it. Peace Sue