Saturday, January 17, 2009

Group #2 Meets to Begin Boat Building

Akeem does some finishing work (top). One group works together to mix the apoxy in order to glue the scarf joints (bottom).

The very cold air did not deter our 12 participants and 10 volunteers from arriving ready for work. Today group 2 was to replicate what the first group started on their canoe last weekend.
The following comments were made by participants in the second group after their first day at work on Peace Canoe #2:
MJ (age 11) It's fun! I get to help make a boat. My part today was working on the hull and one side of the boat, it is a fun project.
T. Graham (age 14) I like to build with legos, so getting to build something like a canoe is very interesting.
Maurice (age 15) It was exhilarating! We had to lift cinder blocks to brace the scarf joints.
Tammy (age 10) It was fun, because we are treated like an adult. We got to use many tools and supplies that we could not use at home. It was exquisite!
Deion (age 13) It was fun! I got to experience something I never did and never thought I'd do. I feel proud to be a part of Boat Building by the Bay.
Keyshawn (age 11) I helped put together the sides of the canoe by nailing. I liked working with the other kids, because we made a good team.
Dalontay (age 9) My group marked the lines for cutting and then we used the glue gun to glue the sides.
Today was another successful day at the McNasby "Boat Shop," we meet again on February 7th and 14th if you are around Eastport, we welcome you to stop in and see our progress between 9am and 1pm.

No comments: