Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Wonderful Paddle at SERC!



On Saturday, November 1, 2008. 11 Participants in the Boat Building by the Bay project traveled over to Edgewater to visit the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center for a wonderful afternoon of canoeing on the Rhodes River. Under the leadership of Karen McDonald and George Smith the participants learned paddling/steering techniques,about the wildlife in the area, history of the canoe, and what happens at SERC.
The weather was picture perfect and this is what some of the participants had to say about the day:

I learned about water animals. ~Tiant age 12

I went canoeing and sat in the back of the boat. I had to stick my oar into the water to steer. ~ Mauricus age 13

SERC is a water research center that studies wildlife. ~Maurice age 15

The water appeared dirty, because it was very dirty in the Rhode River. ~ Mekhi age 10

I had fun learning how to canoe. ~ Kenan age 9

I love going canoeing. I'm excited to go to Sarles to learn how to build a boat. ~Jaquan age12


No comments: